Monday, May 24, 2010

Full Circle

In 2005, I auditioned for UrbanFX, one of the most influential professional dance companies in the community at the time. They are the reason I moved to San Diego. I started my life in San Diego with this group of people, and it's all coming full circle now as I end my run here with them as well.

My departure from UrbanFX shortly before the company disbanded was not exactly an ideal or pleasant situation while it was happening. Regardless of that, I've maintained friendships made on UrbanFX, and still consider this team to be the main factor to what made San Diego a home for me. Being on UrbanFX, I was constantly challenged...physically, mentally, creatively, and emotionally. Through all the good times and all the not so good times, I wouldn't change a single thing about my few years as a member of this company.

This Sunday, some of UrbanFX's former members will be getting together for a reunion performance at House of Blues. That night will also commemorate TK's birthday, and he'll be performing again for the first time in 5 years! This will also probably be the last time I perform in San Diego...and I'm so happy that God worked his way into making my last time with the people who were part of my first time. How poetic. We'll be performing a medley of some of our most beloved pieces. There are so many iconic UFX pieces that it's hard to narrow it down to just a handful, but I think the pieces that have been selected do a great job telling the story of UrbanFX 2001-2008. I know that a lot of dancers/dance fans in this day and age probably won't recognize many or any of these routines (which is kind of sad in my humble opinion), but to those who will be at HOB reminiscing with us as we dance these pieces, thank you.

Real shit though, I gotta get my endurance game up cuz dancing 5 pieces in one medley is one thing...dancing 5 old school UrbanFX pieces in one medley is another. How in the world did we used to move so fast?!

Urban FX Reunion 2010 from VictoryNightlife on Vimeo.


Here's a dope little documentary about our upcoming reunion
Video filmed & edited by Garvin Ha

No comments:

Post a Comment